Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 8 yr old neutered cat has suddenly started spraying in one

Customer Question

my 8 yr old neutered cat has suddenly started spraying in one part of house. I introduced him into the family with two other cats 3 yrs ago
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like you're probably seeing signs related to FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis). This is a stress induced condition in cats that is one of the most common causes of urinating out of the box. We can also see blood in the urine when we do a urinalysis. I would get a urinalysis done by your vet to rule out a bladder infection. Those are possible, but less likely. It's also good to rule out crystals in the bladder and stones. The treatment is usually with anti-inflammatory meds and anti-stress measures at home. Increasing water intake can also help a lot- adding water bowls or a water fountain can help. Here is a nice link on the condition in cats: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?