Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My mother cat just gave birth 50 hours ago. All seemed well,

Customer Question

My mother cat just gave birth 50 hours ago. All seemed well, great appetite, babies nursing but she did not go to the bathroom the first 24 hours. last evening she finally defacated and during last night she did urinate some. Nothing happened all morning, though her appetite was good. Brought her to the local vet who took an exray and said she has a lot of stool inside as well as a lot of urine and we needed to watch that she goes. Well, 10 hours later and still nothing. Now her appetite is off although she drinks. Seems agitated , makes sense with all this stuff still inside her. I dont know if I should bring her to an emergency room or wait till morning. Should she be catheterized? IS this normal for a new mother? Dont know what to do.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: We took her in as a friendly stray two weeks ago. At this point she has not urinated for more than 15 hours. The vet also said she has a slight fever, i think 103.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Precious
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried signing in but it did not work, and new password ***** never came, even to spam. i paid with credit card
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.It is pretty common for new moms to not go to the bathroom if they are stressed and focused on the kittens. Although it has been enough time that I would think that biology would force her to go even if she is stressed. Without seeing the X-rays and palpating her abdomen it is hard to say if it is getting to the point of being dangerous, but my general rule of thumb for cases like this is... is she getting in the box and trying but unable to go? If not then I think you can probably give it a bit more time. I would put a clean litter box very close to her... she shouldn't have to leave the kittens to go... it should be close. If she is in a crate, cover it with a towel. Have everyone leave her alone and keep the lights dim and the room quiet. IF you can get some Feliway spray, then use that in the room. Try to minimize her stress.
If she has not gone by morning or if she starts straining then I would take her to a vet. I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try feliway. She has basically her own room and she enjoys our company there .Her nest is in an armoir, she has been able to go to the litter box but right now just looks at it. SHe is hungry it seems but will hardly eat now. She is kind of restless. She did eat a ton this morning. and several times, but I know that nothing is coming out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will you respond to my last comment?
It is almost impossible to catherize a female cat, but she may need an enema. It can probably wait till morning as long as she is not terrible uncomfortable. But if she hasn't gone my morning then take her in for an enema.I'm sorry I'm not permitted to make phone calls in the state I live in because it is considered establishing a veterinary patient relationship which I can't do without seeing your pet for an exam.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What signs should I look for to know if it is getting dangerous? And when I take her to the vet would they likely catheterize her?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. I am in NY, I guess you are too.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The stool is one thing, but what about the urine? The vet said her bladder was pretty full already this afternoon, and nothing has come out.
They would have to sedate her and just empty her bladder by putting pressure on it and squeezing it... it is very difficult if not impossible to pass a catheter in a female cat. Most vets can not do it. If she is painful when you put pressure on her belly or if she is becoming lethargic or repeatedly straining then she is at risk of a kidney problem because she can't urinate.
The stool isn't going to to get dangerous until she has been constipated for days... you're not there yet. But I wouldn't wait a lot longer than tomorrow if she doesn't go.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. She likes a light rub on her belly still, but I think pressure made her uncomfortable. She is not at all lethargic, and is not straining. Thank you.
Best wishes!