Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My cat has been diagnosed with diabet. This was found when

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with diabet. This was found when I went to the vet clinic because he was not eating anymore.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: P'tit chat Minou (small kitty), 4 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meino?
Customer: He's on insulin since more then a month and was getting better but this week he stopped eating again.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I've been asked by my vet is to make an emergency ketone test because of this reoccurrence in lack of appetite.
How can you ''extract'' urine from a cat fast?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Petit Chat Minou. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I agree checking for ketones in his urine is a good idea, but it is hard to get urine from cats. Do you have the sticks that test for ketones in urine? You can't use urine that is soaked into cat litter. If you happen to see him urinating in the litter box you can stick the strip in the urine stream. The other option is to get Nosorb, black plastic pellets that you substitute for cat litter. When he urinates in the Nosorb, the urine does not get absorbed, and you can stick the test strip in the urine to check for ketones. If he were to urinate on tile or in a bathtub, you could use that urine. We extract urine from the bladder like drawing blood from a vein, with a needle. if he is not eating his blood sugar and ketones should be checked. If you can't get urine tonight, I would take him to your vet first thing in the morning to be checked. Try to keep him hydrated by offering water, chicken broth, tuna juice, anything you think he may drink. Let me know if this helps, and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I help with or answer anything else? How is he doing today?