Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat likes to play in her litter box. She recently had surgery

Customer Question

My cat likes to play in her litter box. She recently had surgery for bladder stones and I have been feeding her food for urinary tract but I am concerned that this behavior is not normal. She seems like she is digging and I am afraid that the bladder stones have come back I am going to take her to the vet when I have money.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Maddie is a girl correct? Is she getting urine out when she's posturing to go? Is she just in there more than normal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes Maddie is a girl there is pee in her box but I don't think she is really going when she is in her box
she is in the box more than usual
That is good that she's a girl. Typically male cats are much more of an emergent situation if they are in the litter box more and straining to urinate as they are extremely at risk for being blocked in their urinary system. As far as Maddie, if she's in the litter box more than normal, she may have a urinary tract infection that is making her need to go more often. If she's getting urine out then it wouldn't seem to be an emergent situation. Could she have stones that have come back? That is something that is unknown. Your vet can take an x-ray to screen for them. As far as checking for a urinary tract infection, they will evaluate some urine to see if that is possible.