Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 14 year-old DSH female cat is constipated.

Customer Question

My 14 year-old DSH female cat is constipated. For several days, there's only been a small, dry, hard feces in the cat box. There are urine clumps and she is drinking water. Otherwise, she's kind of lethargic and walking slowly. Is there a home solution I can try, or at what point do I bring her to her vet? Thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If she is still eating, and passing some stool, you can try adding Mira Lax (from a drug store; no prescription needed) to her food. It is a powder, and you can give 1/4th teaspoon twice daily. Adding fiber like canned unsweetened pumpkin or cooked sweet potato to the food may also help. If she is really blocked up, she may need an enema and that is best done by your veterinarian. None of the over the counter enemas, even ones for infants, are safe to give to cats. If she stops eating, begins to vomit, or is pushing and nothing at all is coming out, I would take her to your veterinarian. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.Kindly consider rating my answer! I hope she is doing better today.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is she doing?