Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

There, I have a 2 yr old male (desexed) cat, last week he

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 2 yr old male (desexed) cat, last week he was limping but this seemed to pass. Over the past couple of days the limp would reappear but I figured he had been jumping off benches and had just tweaked it again (seemed to be the first joint above the paw which was sore). He's now very lethargic, will stay wherever I lay him down and is over-grooming himself. He seems to be shuddering a bit and feels warm. Thoughts at all?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No I think these are the main points, thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- To make sure I got this right, he is not walking, correct? 2- Is he strictly indoors? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Did you see any swelling on the limb? 5- Was he limping from a front or back limb? 6- Any pre existing medical conditions?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He walks around, the limp looks to have gone for now. He's not walking much and doesn't follow me around like he usually does. I put him on the bathroom bench and he refused to jump down and just meowed. He is a mostly indoor cat but will go outside for a wander each day. No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing. No swelling, and it's his front left leg. No pre-existing conditions. Thanks :)
1- Any other symptoms? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No other symptoms come to mind. His gums look pale, and I can't take his temp
Is he eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He is eating wet food, but seems to be licking the liquid out first and then nibbling on the food. He usually gulps it all down. I believe he is drinking but not too sure how much as I have another cat.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, lethargy is a very non specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. Could this be related to the lameness he had before? Not likely, you see if it was related to the lameness he should still be lame. More likely causes are: Anemia, infections (abscess), fever, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that you are seeing pale gums puts anemia or even cardiovascular disease high on the list of possible causes. Unfortunately in this case we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. Treatment for your cat will be based on exact underlying cause. To determine the underlying cause your cat will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Highly recommend having him checked today by family veterinarian for a hands on exam and above testing. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.