Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat has moulted 15 years and now seems to have

Customer Question

my cat has moulted for over 15 years and now seems to have stopped why is that
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Helen, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described "hair cycle arrest" which may be a benign condition and consistent with Missy's age and in that case observation without treatment is reasonable because the disorder is purely cosmetic and affected cats are otherwise healthy. If related to illness, however, that illness needs to be clarified before her skin can normalize. There's rarely just one thing wrong with a 16 year old and so Missy's vet will want to throughly examine Missy including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Particular attention should be made to Missy's thyroid gland because hyperthyroidism is so very common at her age and can cause haircoat irregularities. Are you seeing any worrisome symptoms in addition to her not moulting?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?