Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I just adopted a cat 7 months on friday from the pet store.

Customer Question

I just adopted a cat 7 months on friday from the pet store. She seems to be scratching/biting herself on and off but has no fleas
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Batman
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Batman?
Customer: She's up to date with all her shots and rabies and shes spayed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I would like to help with your question.Cats itch for primarily 2 reasons.... parasites and allergic reasons. At this age parasites is more likely. Fleas are the most common, but there are mites that can make them itch too. Mites are too small to be seen without a microscope. Mites usually produce a very strong itch and the cats will scratch enough to damage their own skin. And it is possible that she had fleas and was treated.... sometimes the itch persists even after the fleas are gone. This a form of flea allergy. Allergies are possible at this age too... to food, or grass, or almost anything. If she is tearing herself apart or severely itchy then I would take her to a veterinarian to do an evaluation for mites. If she is only moderately itchy, I would treat her for fleas (even if she doesn't seem to have any), make sure she is on good food and give it a week or so to see what happens. If this is flea allergy or even another allergic process, the flea control and change in environment may correct the problem. If it doesn't improve then she will need to go to a vet for a cortisone injection.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.