Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Rat has been itching and losing hair, has white flecks in hair

Customer Question

Rat has been itching and losing hair, has white flecks in hair but it looks like dandruff.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello Jesse, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with pet rodents and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Jesse, Sorry to hear Chocolate is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Some forms of bedding such as wood shavings can cause a contact dermatitis on rats, so it would be an idea to switch to paper bedding just in case. To be fair this is a rarer cause of skin disease in rats, but this is not something you would want to miss, in any case it is easy to change the bedding. 2. Skin parasites such as microscopic mites are by far the most common cause of itching and skin disease in rats. There are several different types of mites and sometimes they can be quite resistant to regular remedies. Rats can carry these mites for many months or years without showing any symptoms and then suddenly they can multiply and the disease appear. 3. As far as treatment for mites goes I would recommend trying injectable ivermectin once a week for at least three weeks. Thoroughly cleansing the environment in the cage and discarding the bedding between each injection will be important to prevent reinfection. This approach does mean a visit to the vet but this is by far the most effective thing to do. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.