Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat vomited an hour after his rabies vaccine several times

Customer Question

My cat vomited an hour after his rabies vaccine several times and now he can't seem to get comfortable and licks himself a lot. He is 22 pounds and is 6 years old. The nearest vet available today is an hour away. He has not eaten nor had any water.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any pre existing medical conditions? 2- Is he having difficulty breathing?
Friend, it sounds like your cat may be having an allergic reaction. This is what you can do until he is seen by a veterinarian: 1- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with a veterinarian as soon as you can. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.