Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

There are three ferrel cats that come to eat and sleep in my

Customer Question

There are three ferrel cats that come to eat and sleep in my back patio. I had neutered so they adopted me but will not let me near them. They are all about 18 months old now. I got them fixed about a year ago and they responded well to Abound No grain cereal and canned food. Inside a month they were all pretty fat because they also ate somewhere else, I guess.
Other ferrel cat's and neighborhood cats would come when I wasn't looking and eat some of the food. One dominant male seemed to scare everyone else away. He always looked sick so I ran him off when I could.
Now since about a month the three cats I had fixed are skinny and look weak loosing a lot of hair-big, big chunks. They don't eat much and often leave the food for a day. I give them fresh water almost everyday and clean the bowls each time.
Is there any vitamins or minerals I can give them in their food or energy boost to help them out.
I thought of capturing them and taking them to the vet but I can't afford that expense plus I don't want to take any risk of contamination in my house or car. I have a small sedan. I also have an indoor cat and a large breed dog that have never been in that patio. Its really a home for the ferrels and a toilet (very large gravel area).
If you could suggest something just so I don't have to watch them wither away before my eyes, it would be great.
Thanks
BTW I live in Glendale Arizona in a townhome community in an almost rural area of town.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your three feral cats seem to be wasting away and are losing large patches of hair. I will do my best to help. I'm sorry to say this and I know that it will disappoint you, but your best bet to keep them healthy is to have routine physical examinations by your vet. Anything that I tell you here will not be more important than that. There are a whole laundry list of diseases that could be going on with them, and the only way to know what it is and have it taken care of appropriately is to have at least one of them examined by a veterinarian. Without having had an exam, anything I tell you is a "best guess" based on what is most common. Of particular concern for outdoor kitties are internal and external parasites. Fleas and mange mites can easily cause hair loss and internal parasites like hookworm, roundworm and tapeworm can cause significant weight loss and debilitation. There are over the counter medications to treat intestinal parasites, although the trick will be getting the medicines into the kitties. There is also a product called Revolution that is a topical product that is great for outdoor cats - it kills fleas and keeps them off for a month, it kills ear mites, and sarcoptes (mange) mites, and also removes roundworm and hookworm. Technically Revolution requires a prescription, but the vet that neutered them is likely to be willing to prescribe it or dispense it given how difficult it is for you to catch them and bring them in to the office.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)