Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My female cat is about 15 years old. We have her yearly exam

Customer Question

My female cat is about 15 years old. We have her yearly exam & lion cut in June/July. Lately she has become very slow & appears not to be moving her bowels. Should I contact the vet earlier this year. We were told 3 years ago that she had mammary cancer & we chose to let it run it's course. We keep her inside, she used to have a great appetite but it has greatly diminished over the last couple of weeks. She is kept very comfortable & watched closely when she wants to go outside. Please Advise.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No Not at all. I still brush her daily & she loves it.
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Dusty. My husband found her abandoned in a warehouse & she was filthy when he found her.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dusty?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. I give this tabby the "revolution treatments 7 X a year. We did find a tick on her 10 days ago & it had a very big belly. I obviously missed it in her long angora hair.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I don't think the signs are related to the lion cut. I would wonder if that mammary cancer has spread. It can go to the abdominal lymph nodes. If big enough, they can press on the bowels and lead to changes in bowel movements. It could also cause decreased appetite, weight loss and lethargy. To diagnose this, an ultrasound with somebody skilled at ultrasound could help. Sometimes we just start them on steroids (Prednisolone) and let the cancer run it's course. That can at least get the cat feeling better and maybe shrink down the nodes some to give her some relief. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.