Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a stray cat that I feed. I can't afford a third cat.

Customer Question

I have a stray cat that I feed. I can't afford a third cat. I have two already.. He is a male and came
Me 3 days ago with a swollen is completely swollen shut today.. I'm sure he doesn't have current shots or anything probably.. How can I help him without veterinarian costs? I tried antibiotic cream but isn't helping him...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like this cat has an URI (upper respiratory infection). This is very common in cats and causes sneezing, nasal discharge and ocular discharge. The cause of a URI in a cat is usually viral (herpes or chlamydia most commonly).These URI's will usually run their course and resolve over 1-2 weeks. In severe cases I like to put these cats on an antibiotic to treat/ prevent any secondary infections.Something you can do at home to help with any nasal congestion is run a hot shower and put the cat in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes. This can help break up the congestion. You can also pick up saline artificial tear drops and put one drop in each nostril and eye 3-4 times daily to help it heal. Other than that, you usually just have to ride out the signs and wait for it to resolve on it's own.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Kristi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?