Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat is losing patches of hair (one of them is very red),

Customer Question

My cat is losing patches of hair (one of them is very red), she has lost weight and has vomited several times recently. Can you help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm afraid that I can't be as specific for you as I'd like to be. All of your cat's symptoms are important but all are quite nonspecific.Loss of hair with erythema (reddening) can be due to an allergic dermatitis (most common); bacterial, yeast, or fungal infection, mites, and, less commonly autoimmune skin disease. Allergies to flea saliva, environmental allergens (pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), and food intolerance are also considered. Weight loss and vomiting have more possible etiologies than I could list in this venue. Her vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- X-rays or ultrasound in order to determine why your cat is symptomatic in that manner. A food intolerance can cause hair loss (the skin can be itchy and red), vomiting, and weight loss but these symptoms may be due to more than one disorder. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you. How old is your cat? How long has she been symptomatic? Does she have a medical history that might help clarify why she is currently ill?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is only two and has had no illness before. We also have her sister and both have been regularly flea- treated, the other cat is fine which is why I am concerned.
I understand. Thank you for the additional information. Albeit general, the information I've offered is all I have at this time. She'll need a hands-on exam by her vet at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?