Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I changed my cats diet to an all canned diet food due to

Customer Question

I changed my cats diet to an all canned diet food due to allergy reasons. We found very expensive canned food( weruva truluxe) that would not have all the bad stuff in eat.
Well now he has little diarrhe( only one occurance and softer poop) but only one occurance.
He also vomited twice since last night.
We changed the diet on Saturday.
This is the first time he vomitef.
How I just took all the food away and I will offer more later tonight. I left water out .
Is this good to do? Am I doing the right thing?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning Andreea and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The food change itself can cause a digestive disturbance. The treatment for this is as follows: Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved, then wean him back onto regular food with a small amount of the new food and his old diet. Slowly add some of the new diet over a 2 week period so his system can acclimate to this new diet. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta