Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a 12 year old neutered male cat. past two

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old neutered male cat. For the past two months he has been licking his penis all the time - do you think he has an infection?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Has he had any trouble passing urine?Does he pass normal streams or go small volumes perhaps more often?Any straining before he does pass urine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is trained and lives inside and out so I don't see him pass urine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now that is a shame, since often their behavior in the box can give us some clues to what issue is present. Still, based on what we are seeing, a low grade persistent infection is a concern but also possible bladder crystals. Furthermore, we can see this behavior in older cats with bladder stones or bladder tumors that may strain to pass urine due to intermittent blockage by either. With this all in mind and since this has been an issue for him for a few months already, we'd want to be proactive here. To start, we'd want to consider collecting a urine sample for analysis. This can be submitted to your vet even without having him seen. To collect one, we can often just put them into a carpet free room with an empty litter box overnight and either obtain the sample from the box or floor for analysis. This way his vet can determine if we have infection but can also look under microscope for any signs of crystals to tumor cells. Depending on their findings, we will know what our likely culprit is and can target treatment to settle the irritation driving this grooming behavior and get him settled.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )