Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My cat has a stomach that usually droops looks like it's

Customer Question

Hi my cat has a stomach that usually droops looks like it's wide on the sides like it's something wrong and I don't know what to do she's acting completely normal
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.So does her abdomen seem more rounded and enlarged?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is acting normal
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. The rounded abdomen is usually due to once of 2 things: a mass or fluid buildup. A tumor in the abdomen is possible, but it would have to be a very large tumor to cause that type of enlargement. Now a tumor can also cause fluid buildup. It can either be from it bleeding or fluid leakage from the blood stream. Other causes of fluid buildup are right sided heart failure, liver problems, kidney problems and chronic gastrointestinal issues (I would include intestinal parasites there). All of these except for heart failure have to do with excessive loss of a protein called albumin that is necessary to keep fluid in the blood stream. With heart failure, it is just due to congestion. My advice from this point is to have your vet check her out, run some blood work and get an x-ray of the abdomen. If it looks like it is filled with fluid, they will probably want to drain it and submit a sample for analysis. She may be acting normal now, but if there is fluid buildup, that can change quickly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.