Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Our cat just had first litter of kittens a week ago. When she

Customer Question

Our cat just had first litter of kittens a week ago. When she had them she began pulling her hair out by roots with her mouth. She's looking rough, with a lot of skin exposed. Can u help us?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is***** am a veterinarian for the website. Is she swallowing the hair she pulls out? Or using it to make a nest for the kittens? Do you see any fleas at all? She might be doing this by instinct to make a nest, or because she is itchy from a flea bite reaction or allergy. Is she getting plenty of high quality food? You could try adding fish oil to her food for it antiinflammatory effects and to help her coat.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None of the above. No rash. No flees. 4 other cats with no similarites, 2 of which are also new mothers. This doesnt make sense????
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Either she is itchy (and in flea allergic cats it can take a single flea to make a cat feel itchy all over), or she is doing this in an attempt to help her kittens. I would try the fish oil, the Omega 3s can make itchy skin less itchy and improve coat quality. I just did some research and sometime hair pulling like this can be from microscopic mites in the hair follicles. This can affect just one cat, it is not strictly contagious, so having a skin scraping test for mites is something to consider.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else?