Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He vomited up about 3 segments 2-3 inches each of a flat worm.

Customer Question

He vomited up about 3 segments 2-3 inches each of a flat worm. I have 3 cats 2 are very wild and 2 big dogs. The vet will not give me any wormer unless I bring them in. I dont have the money to take them all in and the 2 wild ones would never be touched even if I did take them. Is there anything else I can do at home like maybe Diatomaceous earth??
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: probably birds as it is nicer weather now and they go outside.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kitty and about 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kitten?
Customer: no he is neutered never been sick. had needles and wormed when a kitten. Sorry he is about 13.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Without knowing exactly what type of worm you are dealing with, it is impossible to say which dewormer may be best. A flat worm is usually a tapeworm, but they usually don't vomit up tapeworms. You usually see the segment come out of the rear end. A hookworm and roundworm would be the more likely culprits, but they are more spaghetti like. You can get a dewormer from most pet stores. I would find a combination dewormer that has pyrantel and praziquantel in it. That will cover most of your potential worms. That is your best bet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.