Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have 2 cats both only indoor cats, use kitty litter-"Best

Customer Question

I have 2 cats both only indoor cats, use kitty litter-"Best Litter in the World".
1 cat has lost hair on both back legs, a circle on the back of legs at joint, maybe a 1/2 inch circle. no scabbing or redness skin is smooth.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Are you able to attach a photo? There is no prickly hair that you can feel in that area, it is completely smooth?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont have a photo..there is no prickly hair. skin is smooth and white.
Okay. In that case, this is most likely an endocrine issue. There are endocrine disorders that cats can develop as they get older that can cause symmetric hair loss in areas on the body, and with no evidence of hair regrowth or redness, that is the likely cause. This can be adrenal or thyroid or diabetes, etc. Your best bet is to see your veterinarian for full blood work and go from there, because if she does have an endocrine issue, the small areas of hair loss are not the only side effects, and it is best to get it diagnosed early. If this just started, you can wait a month or two to watch for regrowth, and see your vet if it does not. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.