petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 13 yr old cat vomits every day after feeding. We have tried

Customer Question

My 13 yr old cat vomits every day after feeding. We have tried smaller
doses more frequently..no help. It is usually just in the morning. All the food she ar
The comes up. Help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Mercedes today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. Some cats vomit simply because they eat too fast. The key with those cats is to slow them down. They actually make a bowl called a Brake-fast® bowl that has raised pegs in it of which they have to eat around. (It looks like a big lego).(Go to brake-fast.net for more info) I have used one with my cat and it helps a little. You can make your own device as well by placing something in the center of the bowl that takes up room in it. For instance, depending on the size of the bowl, you could try something like a tennis ball or golf ball and then the food goes around it. This way they have to pick underneath and around the edges of the ball to get to the food. Make sure the object you place in there is large enough that they can't swallow it and make sure he is not so frustrated by it that he doesn't eat or just goes to the other cat's bowls. For some cats, it has nothing to do with how fast they eat, but that once the food in their stomach, their stomach doesn't empty fast enough and it makes them nauseous. A trial of a medication like Metoclopramide (Reglan®) can be beneficial to see if it helps with gastric motility. Food allergy is another possibility leading to a gastritis or even inflammatory bowel disease (inflammation of the intestines). This could cause vomiting as you describe. Perhaps a food trial with a limited antigen food or a homecooked diet may be in order to rule that out. Of course, there could be other metabolic problems from internal organ disorders especially in an older cat and especially if this is not a new problem. It definitely warrants at least an exam and probably some bloodwork or xrays. The exam may help to rule out obvious things like intestinal masses, but bloodwork is needed to rule out metabolic changes like diabetes, thyroid or kidney disease. Xrays will help to rule out an obstruction. It is not uncommon for all of these tests to be normal and there can still be GI disease present. Some of these cats ultimately end up with a gastric biopsy to diagnose definitively. This is a common and frustrating problem in cats. We start with the easy to rule out things first and then decide how aggressive we need to be to get to the diagnosis based on how severely they are affected. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tried avoiding going to the vet. So traumatic for her. We've tried to slow her eating doesn't work and she won't eat anything but 'her'food. Guess we will go to the vet... Thanks
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry, but yes I'm afraid this is going to need some sort of veterinary intervention for diagnosis and probably medication prescription. Good luck with her. Maybe your vet can prescribe something to calm her before you take her in.