Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Square like worm came out of cats nose JA: IÂ'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

square like worm came out of cats nose
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: cats name is ***** ***** six years old
JA: How old is Mae .and Is Six Years Old?
Customer: 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mae .and Is Six Years Old?
Customer: she is very healty and has a lot of ennergy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
You're described a Cuterebra larva. Cuterebra flies lay their eggs near rabbit runs and rodent burrows. Hatched larvae crawl into the fur of a mammalian host, enter the host through a natural body opening, and migrate to a subcutaneous site. In most cases infestation appears as a solitary, 1 cm diameter, nonpainful, subcutaneous swelling that fistulates (larval breathing hole). Rarely larvae aberrantly migrate to the central nervous system, trachea, pharynx, or nostrils but in Mae's case that's just what occurred! Because the larva left on its own accord, no treatment is necessary. Watch for nasal discharge which would indicate a secondary bacterial infection which might need a systemic antibiotic for 7-10 days.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?