Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have an eight year old cat who has been vomiting

Customer Question

Hi I have an eight year old cat who has been vomiting for the last two and half days. She has a fractured paw which has been placed in a splint and was placed on medication. As soon as my cat started vomiting I stopped giving her the medication. Previous to this she was given medication and topical cream due to a tiny growth on her nose. She has finished this medication and seemed fine the above-mentioned regarding her paw is happening now. I have not taken her to the vets as she threw up extremely late on Saturday, the vet was closed on Sunday and today it's a public holiday and the vet is closed. She has vomited up food, hairball, grass, foam like water, and today a pinkish to reddish translucent water like liquid. My cat still has a good appetite. Today I didn't give her any cat food but gave her some beef mince which she readily ate and wanted more. Her sleep pattern still seems the same.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Still?
Customer: She eats grass when she wants to vomit. And today and yesterday she had a soft stool.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She doesn't drink much water though but this seems typical
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.What medication was it?Can she keep water down?Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The medication that was given to her is:Amoxyclav 250mg (amoxycillin as trihydrate, clavulanic acid as postassium salt) dosage is half a tablet in the morning and half in the evenings (she did not like this tablet at all kept throwing it out of her mouth)Ilium Meloxicam 0.5 mg Dosage 0.6ml with food a day. (No major problems giving this)Previous to this for her nose she was being given VibraVet (broad spectrum antibiotic 100mg/g doxycycline as minohydrate) this medication was in a paste from in syringe containing 2.5mg (by Pfizer) which was to be administered orally (which she loved) and a topical lotion (Apex Antibiotic of hydrocortisone and lignocaine 50ml) which she disliked.Her gums are light pink and seem moist. She hiccuped twice when I woke her to have a look.I still have to check her stomach.But that's it so far
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think she has eaten anything she should not have. I have not seen her do so
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** would note that both medications could be an issue here. Amoxyclav is notorious for causing GI upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) and Meloxicam can cause appetite loss, vomiting, and even stomach ulcers. As well, we do have to also keep in mind that they could be red herrings and that this could be related to an opportunistic GI infection or dietary indiscretion. With this all in mind, we'd want to stop the medications as you have and try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd would note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from the local urgent care vet. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Overall, if your lass is vomiting, we need to tread with care. Especially as these signs could have been triggered by her medication. Therefore, we’d hold off any more until her vet is open and would want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated, has those other signs I asked about, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved as soon as they are open. They can assess her hydration, rule out stomach ulcers from the medication and any other issues present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, gut safe pain relief (for her fracture) +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.