Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

11 year old male cat: recently Dx. with diabetes, ate this

Customer Question

11 year old male cat:
recently Dx. with diabetes,
ate this evening, was given 2units of insulin.
is now unresponsive but breathing.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. In this case, if he is collapsed and unresponsive, this is an emergency. It sounds like he is in hypoglycaemic shock. Therefore, you can try to boost his blood sugar by rubbing honey/karo syrup/glucose syrup/etc. on his gums just now. But otherwise, we need him to his vet for IV fluids with Dextrose and stabilization. It may be that he is a transient diabetic and no longer needs insulin or that he has had too much. But again if he is looking as you have reported, it is very much an emergency that we need addressed now to help him survive. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )