Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My son hastwo Guinea pigs years. They are healthy and

Customer Question

My son hastwo Guinea pigs for 3 years. They are healthy and both lots of fun. The other day my son noticed that one of them has a bold spot above her back right leg. It does not look irritated nor red, it doesn't seem to bother her and she doesn't scratch it so it seems that it doesn't bother her. Is there anything we can do or should we take her to the vet.
Thank you,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Iva. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Does the spot have any crusting or scaly skin?If not, is the hair rough in that area if you rub it back and forth?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, the skin isn't crusting or scaly, and the hair feels normal. I've attached a picture below
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am very glad to hear and see that there is no scaling/crusting since ringworm was a concern. As well, its good that we have no severe changes to the skin nor itching, as that makes other issues like mites or bacterial infection less likely. With those aside, this being in one spot, and her lack of reaction to the hair loss here, we'd be highly suspicious that her friend is actually our culprit. When cavies are kept together we can see the dominant one "barber" the other. Sometimes we do need to separate them but we can try to reduce the behaviour by ensuring they are mentally stimulated. This means we'd want them to be interacted and played with more, that toys and chews they will use are provided, and that we potentially offer some grazing time outside on untreated grass (you can use a dog pen -example - to ensure they don't get lost in your garden). That way we are distracting the other one and keeping her from bother her companion. Though again if she persists, we may need to separate the two to avoid any secondary infections for Fudge.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )