Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Male cat 7 years old is wailing. Alternately quiet. Just pooped

Customer Question

Male cat 7 years old is wailing. Alternately quiet. Just pooped on floor which is uncharacteristic. Crouching position.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Charles is alternately wailing and very quiet, has defecated on the floor and is in a crouching position now. Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter. If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to be in a great deal of discomfort (thus the wailing) and they can become quite lethargic. Sometimes they strain so hard trying to urinate they pass stool instead. That would explain his crouched position too.If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.He needs immediate veterinary care. Here is a link if you wish more information about lower urinary tract disease: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease Can you palpate his belly?In the back part, near his rear legs/spine, is his bladder. If you can feel a balloon shaped structure, can be tangerine sized to softball size that is likely his full bladder. Some cats are so painful they won't even let you touch their belly.I highly recommend that you have your fellow see a veterinarian right away this evening.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He urinated sometime since this morning. We cannot feel anything near his belly and he did not react as though tender. We will watch him but have an emergency vet nearby.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Ok, that is very good news. So while he may have some lower urinary tract inflammation he doesn't sound blocked yet.I would push fluids tonight (add water or broth to his food if he will eat) and watch him very closely. Clean out his litter box and put in a small amount of litter so you can keep a close eye on how much he is passing. Then he should see his regular veterinarian tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty, thanks, ***** *****