Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My mothers papilion has a huge growth on the side of his neck.

Customer Question

My mothers papilion has a huge growth on the side of his neck. It is not cancer. Surgery is not an option due to the size of the growth and his age. Is there anything we can treat it with topically? Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. First, I am very sorry to hear that your mother's dog has an inoperable mass on his neck. Especially since because even non-cancerous these masses can grow causing the skin to ulcerate leading to pain and the risk of infection. Now in regards ***** ***** care, you will be limited. You can try an OTC hydrocortisone cream or speak to his vet about oral anti-inflammatories. The aim of these is that they will reduce inflammation associated with the mass and this could shrink it and slow its growth. As well steroids specifically do have some anti-cancer effects and therefore could be of benefit here. Otherwise, if the skin is getting thin and ulcerated, you may need to start topically bathing it with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water) +/- using topical antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) on any open lesions. And if the growing of this is causing him to itch, we may need to keep it lightly covered (ie gauze, dog bandana) to just prevent self trauma and the introduction of infection.Overall, even non-cancerous these masses can be a problem if they are actively growing. So, if it is stable, you can monitor it. But if it is growing, the above would be our main medical management options to help reduce its effects on him. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.