Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

What treatment is there loss on legs and belly for

Customer Question

What treatment is there for fur loss on legs and belly for a cat ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your cat that has hair loss on the legs and belly. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine there are quite a number of things that could be causing these areas of fur loss, however I would be primarily concerned about an allergy. Typically cats can develop flea, food and contact allergies. I will talk through these possibilities with you now. Firstly - you need to make sure that your girl is definitely up to date with flea control. Make sure you are using a flea product appropriate for her weight. Even if you can't see any fleas on your cat doesn't mean there are one or two lurking and oftentimes this is all it takes for a cat with flea allergy dermatitis. Flea allergies are avoided by strict flea control - every 4 weeks with Advantage, Advocate or every 5 - 6 weeks with Frontline. You must also ensure all pets in the household are treated at the same time. I would also recommend washing her bedding and treating the house to ensure any flea larvae are also taken care of. We also have to consider a food allergy here as weel. If you wanted to, you could undertake a diet trial with a hydrolysed protein diet like Royal Canin hypoallergenic or Hill's z/d. This would mean feeding ONLY this (no treats or stealing other pets' food) for 8 - 12 weeks. It is also possible that your cat may have skin mites or lice as they commonly cause areas of fur loss. These could be either Otodectes or Sarcoptes mites (VERY itchy) and you should ensure a full Veterinary check up so that he or she can carry out a physical examination and possibly a skin scrape to check for mites and lice, as well as signs of fleas. The next step would be to double check for fungal disease (such as ringworm) and there are several tests for this including a UV light and a fungal culture. Finally, we also have to consider that your cat may be overgrooming due to stress. This is less likely if she seems content at home, but we do have to keep this in mind. This problem is called psychogenic alopecia and you can read more about this here: You could try Feliway (a feline pheromone diffuser) to help rule out stress as being a causative factor in this problem. You can get this relatively cheaply from your local pet store or online at As I say, it really would be a good idea to have a full Veterinary consult to check all of the above. I think a skin scrape and microscopy is definitely a good next step. In the meantime, very small amounts of polysporin on these areas would be ok, however be aware that anything you put on her legs, she will just lick at/lick off. Finding the underlying cause for these patches of hair loss is the key here.I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon! Apologies also - i just saw that you didn't actually state the sex of your cat. My apologies if she is actually a he!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.