Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My cat is not eating or drinking. He sleep all day and is not

Customer Question

My cat is not eating or drinking. He sleep all day and is not active. He has feline leukemia but he has been active until he has been feeling ill. Im worried he may or may not make it through the night.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Hes panting and always cleaning himself. He drinks little water too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am also very worried based on what you have written. Unfortunately his signs are vague and could indicate one of a long list of problem ranging from infection (such as cat fight abscess) or be related to the feline leukemia virus with fluid accumulating in his chest or he could have an organ problem (liver, pancreas, kidney) or a primary heart issue and the list continues. The inactivity is very suspicious to be due to having a fever. If you feel you can safely check his temperature (must be done via anus/rectum) then do so and if this is higher than 103.5F then he has a fever and this is not a situation that can wait until tomorrow especially if the fever is over 104F.If you are worried he might die, then I must recommend you have him seen on emergency right now. I wish I had an easy over-the-counter medication or option you could do to improve his situation but there is not. Cats do not tolerate many medications that are available at people pharmacies. So, the best for him is to have him seen. If you are unable to take him in today (now) then do the best you can to keep him comfortable somewhere warm and quiet. Keep his food/water available and try not to agitate him too much if he is having trouble breathing. Try tempting him to eat with his favorites, whether that be canned tuna or chicken broth or people baby food of the pureed chicken variety. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.