Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

No veterinary has been able to answer this question or

Customer Question

No veterinary has been able to answer this question or resolve this poor cats medical issue. And that about a dozen and several hundreds of dollars later. Siamese cat 16 years old has sinus problem. Thick yellow missus continues to fill the upper sinus cavity of cat. The cats been given antibiotics, several kinds and nothing helps. When the car builds up enough to block his breathing in his nose, he snorts long strands of slimy goo all over. This has been going on for nearly 18 months. The infection has not moved into the cats lungs. This will not go away, and I need a vet who knows his or her stuff to address this issue and advise on how to correct this sinus problem.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this..... I have treated many of these cases but I have to tell you from the start that these cases can be very tough, some don't ever get better especially if there is underlying turbinate destruction in the nose, or a foreign body, or cancer. So the point of saying all that is to know that the very next thing that should be done is rhinoscopy with biopsy which will likley have to be done at a surgical referral practice or college of veterinary medicine. Having said that here is a protocol that your vet can try. For the inflammation your cat will need Prednisone 5 mg twice daily. For the infection your cat should be given Azithromycin 10 mg/kg once daily for 1 week and then every 3 days indefinitely (possibly forever) if this works. I would also add vetriscience DMG liquid and dose it at 1/2 ml twice daily. This will help support the immune system. This protocol works very well with 80 % of cats but don't forget we could be missing something by not doing rhinoscopy with biopsy.Hope this helps but let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, ***** ***** rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB