Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am changing my cats diet to an all grain free diet from

Customer Question

I am changing my cats diet to an all grain free diet from Weruva.
My first concern is: should they be fed only fish meal diet? Or that would get them sick over time?
They have allergies and I did a saliva test and they seem to not be allergic to this particular brand of Veruwa deluxe.
Also I have two cats that eat together. Before they were on dry food having it out at all times.
What is the calorie need for an 11 pound cat indoor?
They are both almost 2 years old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, we absolutely do not want to feed a pure fish meal diet. This is imbalanced and will cause major deficiencies and health issues for cats. In fact, fish based diets are notorious for causing thiamine deficiency if not supplemented which can cause progressive neurological signs, seizures, and death. So, that is highly inadvisable and instead if they aren't allergic to the diet you noted then that is a much better option. Or if you are keen to feed something homemade, make sure that you use a feline specific supplement (with taurine) to meet their base requirements.Otherwise, the daily calorie requirement for an 11lb indoor cat would be between 220-352 kcal per day. They also needs 22 grams of protein per day and there is no carb requirement for this species.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok then I have trouble finding some sort of a dry food that would not contain chicken or eggs( they are allergic to that) that is absolutely grain free and that does not contain peas. Seems like they all contain peas. The report shows that he is allergic to starches and peas
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the label of the fish canned food- it is not for humans( not tuna fish but rather cat food tuna cans)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think this is deficient in what they need if I would only feed this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,It can be tricky but there are good companies (ie Natural Balance or James Wellbeloved) that do offer limited ingredient foods that would meet our needs here. Though be aware that as dry foods are mostly based on grains/carbs; we may have to sacrifice that and only feed canned food to meet these the dietary restrictions. Or you could consider having a vet nutritionist design a homemade diet option for you to use. You can read more about that HERE.Otherwise, based on that label, that canned food is fine to feed. Its not just pure fish meal. As you can see, there is taurine, the required vitamins/minerals and thiamine (that one we noted as something we need more of if feeding fish) all present. So, that is fine to offer and if we had any concerns we could give a feline vitamin daily to keep them at optimum.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think it is Not advisable to feed fish pet food canned due to Mercury and reasons like that?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I feed them only that type of canned food solely?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,To be honest, we rarely see mercury issues when feeding good quality balanced commercial fish based diets. Its more an issue when people just feed tuna (along with the other problems we discussed before). So, I would have no qualms for a patient or even one of my cats to be on a wet food diet only even a fish based one. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So all in all would you trust to feed only the canned food from that label that I sent you? Does it sound balanced?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
It does look balanced but you can ring the feed company to get an exact break down. Otherwise, I would feed it and use a daily feline vitamin to just be extra sure.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok... Just this second the cat ate a big chunk of string that was found in the laundry basket. We tried to pull it out but we could only pull very little. It's all gone in her
What should I do now? I suppose nothing until she becomes symptomatic?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Chances are that she will poop it out right?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,Now I do need to mention that website policy requests that new questions be opened when you wish to ask about another topic. Still, since you may not have appreciated that, I can briefly say that if she ate a string there is risk here (if it was long they can get caught in the intestines and need to be removed surgically). So, you may need to have her to her local vet just now to get the string removed with their endoscope or via their inducing vomiting. Otherwise, you will need to monitor her and have her seen if she doesn't pass this in 48 hours or shows any signs of discomfort from this.Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.