Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat was just yowling and I picked her up and she was panting

Customer Question

My cat was just yowling and I picked her up and she was panting and drooling. What's should I do for her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has she had these signs?Does she seem painful anywhere?Has she passing urine and feces normally?Any vomiting, retching or gagging?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Any access to toxins?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She frequently yowls. I think she is frustrated because she can't see. She is mostly blind. She doesn't appear to be in pain and is passing urine and feces normally. She vomitted yesterday. This is common for her as she gets fur balls. Breathing is normal now. She is resting. No access to toxins
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that her breathing has settled since that is the most urgent sign and one that can be a sign we need her on oxygen if it had persisted. Otherwise, while I am not glad to hear that she struggles regularly, I am glad to hear that yowling isn't a new feature. Since it isn't, acute pain is less likely and I'd note that you are right that it could be disorientation but also a sign of high blood pressure. Those all aside, if she is drooling now and vomited before, both are red flags of nausea. At her age, this could be a brewing gut infection but we can also see this secondary to systemic issues like kidney disease, liver troubles, or metabolic imbalances. With this all in mind, we need to tread with care. We can try some support to settle her stomach but if she is unsettled or doesn't respond in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want a check up to make sure there isn't anything else we need to address. Otherwise, we can start her on an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Overall, if the breathing has normalized, her gums are pink and her yowling is an ongoing sign, then her remaining signs support nausea. Therefore, we'd want to use the above for her just now and keep a close eye. If she doesn't settle, then we'd want to have a check +/- blood testing to check for those other concerns and have her vet address those and start her on injectable anti-nausea treatment to soothe her stomach. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going for Ellie?Dr. B.