Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Hes a 4 yo guinea pig. Hes been having issues with his bowel

Customer Question

Hi hes a 4 yo guinea pig. Hes been having issues with his bowel movements, hes barely if at all making an pellets. Pellets that he has made are very small. Hes not urinsting very much either. Hes drinking water frequently, but barely touching his food.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Ewok, and hes 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ebook,?
Customer: Hes tender around his lower abdomen, near his rectum, it even looks a tad swollen
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hes whining and crying and grunting. After a minute of that he'll lift his bottom and arch his back and grunt in pain. His frequent stops at his water bottle are very short. Hes refusing to eat his food pellets and hes not touching his timothy hay. He'll eat a very small amount of vegetables and then brush them aside. I was able to get him to drink 5ml of cranberry juice to aid with his thirst but thats all the liquid he's taken in the last hour or so.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had these signs?When he urinates, is it normal color, odor, and volumer?Any history of trauma?Does his belly feel fluidy, firm, hard, or distended?Any chance he has eaten something non-edible?