Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Cat. 5 yrs old. Not eating or drinking much. Very little bathroom.

Customer Question

Cat. 5 yrs old. Not eating or drinking much. Very little bathroom. Just very distant and sluggish compared to usual.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hazel.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hazel?
Customer: 100 percent indoor. Has always been. No issues until about 6 days ago. Not drastic change, little more each day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hazel. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian with Just Answer. How long has she been like this? Can you take her temperature with a thermometer? If you look at her gums, do they look pink in color or pale? If she has been like this more than 24 hours, I am worried about her becoming dehydrated. You can check for these: gently pinch some skin over her shoulders and let go, and the skin should go back into place in less than 1 second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated. There are many things that could make her act like this, fever, internal organ disease (pancreas, liver, kidney), hormone imbalances, low blood sugar, pain. To find out where her problem is, a thorough physical exam is the best places to start: take her temp (101 to 102 is normal), listen with a stethosocope, palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, etc. Until she can be checked out, try to keep her hydrated by offering water, broth, baby food with water added, tuna juice, etc. If her gums look pale, that is a sign of possibly serious illness and the sooner she can be checked out the better. Let me know what other questions I can answer and if this is helpful.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is Hazel? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer or help with.