Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My neutered male cat who will be 5 tomorrow, recently started

Customer Question

My neutered male cat who will be 5 tomorrow, recently started peeing on clothes and pillows. He has never done this before. The urine is foul smelling and foamy when we looked right after he did it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would prefer natural remedies please.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about R2's troubles. His symptoms sound like a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections usually manifest as frequent urination of small amounts, inappropriate urination, foul smelling or bloody urine, increased drinking and vocalizing when urinating. The typical course of action is to have a urinalysis performed to confirm and also to determine the presence of crystals. A heavy load of crystals can lead to a urethral blockage if left untreated. The typical treatment for urinary tract infections includes antibiotics and possibly a food change if the problem is recurrent.There are some natural remedies that I have had good luck with. Vitamin C is a natural antiinflammatory that can help relieve some of the pain involved with a urinary tract infection. Cats can have 250-500mg per day, higher doses can cause diarrhea, so it is best to start at the low end and work up if needed.Cranberry is another great supplement that is a diuretic as well as it helps prevent bacteria from binding to the bladder wall. The dosage for cats is 200-300mg per day.Only Natural Pet has a product called Tract Ease that is a formulation effective is treating urinary tract infections. I have used it on a number of cats that have recurrent trouble and it seems to help prevent as well as treat. It is available on the website: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com.Finally, offer plenty of fresh water, sometimes a fountain helps. Some cats can be very finicky about their water and a fountain helps ensure the water is fresh and more to their liking. Feeding canned for can also help as it contains more water.Urinary tract infections can take 7-10 days to completely clear up, but should start to show improvement within a couple days of treatment. If R2 isn't showing improvement or gets worse after 4-5 days, it would be time to take him to a vet for a complete urinalysis.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** mention that he started doing this a few months ago, maybe longer, but we were unable to determine which cat was doing it until today. Does that make a difference in your answer?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.
Not really, but I would definitely try the Tract Ease then!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.
You could also switch him to a urinary tract formula food to help get the urinary environment back to normal. It usually only takes one bag, but some cats need to be on a urinary formula for life. You'll just have to see how he responds to it.