Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat Truffle is 7 years old, an indoor/outdoor puss and very

Customer Question

My cat Truffle is 7 years old, an indoor/outdoor puss and very happy, but less active than she used to be. She spent the winter lying in front of the gas fire! Problem is, I noticed a couple of months ago that her tummy had lost its fur and the flesh looks loose. Her skin is pink and you can see the nipples, which I never noticed before. She has always had that loose fur hanging near her back legs (lots of cats have that - is that from having kittens?), but this is a change. She almost looks pregnant!
So my questions are: what causes this? is she still healthy, or should I be worried? I took her to the vet a few weeks ago, and the vet didn't seem to think it was significant.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Christine. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has she had these changes?Does she seem to have gotten thinner over her back and spine?Any changes to her skin (ie pimples, pustules, ulcers, sores, crusting, scabbing, etc)?Are you seeing her groom her belly more often?Can you take a photo of her belly? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.