Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 3 y/o cat is running a fever 104.8... she was tested this

Customer Question

My 3 y/o cat is running a fever 104.8... she was tested this morning and is leukemia and AIDS free... had IV fluids... vet prescribed Amoxicillin... cat still refuses (last 30 hours) to eat. Do I have to force feed her prior to amox dose or can I just get it started. Also, I mixed the amox then left it out at 72 degree room temp for four hours... how bad is that?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Squeaky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Squeaky?
Customer: No... we have a calm household... she is a indoor/outdoor super healthy and playful until maximum of 30 hours ago... she is also very stressed over the fact that my wife and 10 y/o Husky have been away from home for six days visiting one of my daughters.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, if the Amoxicillin was only out for a few hours, that is fine and will do no harm. As well, it would be ideal to get Squeaky eating first but you can give the antibiotic on an empty stomach if you need to. Though if she is off food, you may want to ring her vet about anti-nausea treatment (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide, etc) +/- an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine) to give her that push to get back to eating for us as we treat for infection with the Amoxicillin. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going for Squeaky?Dr. B.