Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been drinking a lot more water than normal and also

Customer Question

my cat has been drinking a lot more water than normal and also urinating a lot more than normally
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I must say that I share your concerns about Gary. To see increased thirst and urination in an elderly cat is a major red flag of a systemic issue. Now we can see these as signs of bladder infections; though often these cats go more often but pass small amounts. Otherwise if he is passing large volumes kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver disease, heart issues and on occasion cancer would be our main concerns. With all this in mind, we do want to be proactive with Gary. This isn't likely an emergency for him but something we'd want to get seen once his vet is open. The most straight forward way to determine which of these is an issue for him would be to have a check up and a geriatric blood sample tested. Your vet can take the blood sample and test for all the above to pinpoint which is causing his signs. At the same time, they can check the urine to confirm any infection is present (+/- some diseases like diabetes can still show up on urine testing where others would be masked by the infection). Based on their findings, they can dispense treatment and help you reduce these signs for Gary and keep him comfortable. Overall, Gary's signs are worrisome in a cat his age. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have his vet check him once they are open (or if they have hours today). They can confirm the cause of these signs and start treatment as needed to manage this for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
How is everything going for Gary?Dr. B.