Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat has some problems breathing or more like raspy breathing

Customer Question

my cat has some problems breathing or more like raspy breathing and in short bursts, just started a couple of days ago and he has been meowing alot
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is DC coughing at all? Any sneezing or nasal discharge? Does he spend a considerable amount of time outdoors?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is coughing like he can't get something out , no discharge and yes he is outside alot
Okay thanks for the additional information. Is DC up to date on his vaccines? Since he is coughing and go outside a lot, one of the first things I would recommend that you rule out is if he has possibly has an respiratory infection. This can be determined if he responds to antibiotics. Other things I worry about in outside cats is asthma which can be diagnosed via x-rays and heartworm disease which is not very common in cats in general but outside cats are definitely more at risk.