Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 15 year old tabby cat is pooping but i cannot find any urine

Customer Question

my 15 year old tabby cat is pooping but i cannot find any urine in his cat box and I have not found any smells in the house either? he is about 22 pounds.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Tom. That is great that he's drinking and eating fine. I'm going to be very honest here and say that in a situation like this, he's urinating and the location is one that just hasn't been found. With him eating and drinking, his body is doing its normal physiologic functions - such as making urine. If he physically wasn't able to urinate, he would be in great discomfort and very critical in about 24 hours of not being able to urinate. These cats attempt to urinate and just can't. They are very painful and very vocal. This isn't him. Could something have changed with the environment that is causing him stress to urinate somewhere else? What I'd do to help him is to get a second litter box as some can make the decision to urinate in one and defecate in the other. I would keep it uncovered as the odors can build up in covered ones. I would then see what he does. With how he's acting again, he's urinating but it just isn't where it has been found.