Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My cat seems hot and sweatly and some patches of hair is m

Customer Question

my cat seems hot and sweatly and some patches of hair is missing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My cat is "a cat from hell" doesnt like to go vet--will bites at anyone that messes with him, he can be nice to me but doesnt socialize well with other people, he is eating well and no diarrhea--seems extra moody tonite, is he sick
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has been hot and missing some patches of fur. I'll do my best to help. Cats don't actually have sweat glands, so they cannot by their nature actually be sweaty. Their body temperature normally runs between 100-102.5, which is a good bit hotter than our own body temperature. Because of this, when we touch their bare skin, it does feel very hot to us. There are a couple of things I consider when I have cats who are missing hair or licking areas of their fur out. Number one is itchiness, which is usually allergy related. If the problem is allergy related, then it would likely improve with steroid treatment but relapse and become worse again when the steroids wear off. For many of my patients who are "first time offenders" with allergy symptoms, I will try a course of steroids and see how they do. If they only require intermittent treatment for flare ups, this may be how I continue. If they seem to need medicine all the time, I would discuss other allergy treatments. Steroids can have some nasty side effects in cats, especially if they are given frequently. I have had great success in maintaining allergic cats with a medication called Atopica for cats. It is a daily to every other day maintenance medication to control allergy symptoms. We also have to make sure that cats with hair loss or itching are absolutely FLEA FREE, as fleas are a very common allergy trigger - even ONE bite can make a kitty absolutely miserable. I'd be happy to talk more about fleas if you'd like - just let me know. In rare cases itching can be a symptom of a mite infection, but this is pretty unlikely. The other thing I consider for cats who are losing their fur from over grooming is anxiety or stress. Cats calm themselves by grooming, so if they are anxious, some cats can over groom and pull out their hair like this. In these cases, the hair usually doesn't grow back with steroid treatment because the problem isn't an allergy. These cats can respond well to treatment with anti-anxiety medications. It's often difficult to determine exactly what is causing the anxiety - just like some people who have anxiety or panic attacks can't always tell you exactly what it is that they are upset about. If the hair loss is mostly over the belly, another thing to consider would be bladder disease. If a cat is over grooming their belly and pulling out the hair there, I also always check for bladder problems. If their bladder is painful because of an undiagnosed bladder infection or bladder stones, then this could be the cause of the over grooming. Here is also a link with some more information on over grooming and hair loss in kitties: I would at least call your vet for guidance as soon as you can. While it's unlikely to be an emergency, if he is really itchy, he will appreciate relief ASAP. This should give you some ideas to discuss with your vet for your kitty's care going forward. Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions for you! ~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara