Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat went in ear infection and was given Tresaderm

Customer Question

My cat went in for an ear infection and was given Tresaderm ear drops. I came home Sunday and she had really gotten at the ear and it was bloodied. I gave the cat a dose of prednisolone (pill form) and then the next day dropped her off at the vet where she was given a shot of dexamcthasone. Her blood glucose was high that day (it had never been so before that and she is seen almost monthly at the vet and is 3yrs old) and they also tested her urine which ended up having glucose as well. aprox one week later I brought her in for a recheck and to recheck her urine as well and there was no more blood glucose in the urine, however now she has a few struvite crystals that appeared in her urine. As far as her diet Rosie is on a prescription metabolic diet for weight loss (she has been on this food quite some time now) and eats a small amount of Sheba wet food to mix in her glandex powder as she has defective anal glands that must be regularly expressed. She is also on Tresaderm for her ear yeast. She has always been a big water drinker so I believe that her water intake is not an issue. Do you think that the steroids contributed to the crystals forming? Or what would contribute to the crystals forming.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Crystalluria - the presence of crystals in urine - simply means that the urine specimen is oversaturated with crystallogenic substances; however, numerous variables influence crystalluria. The significance of crystalluria is easily misjudged if these factors are not considered. In vivo (within the body) variables include urine concentration, urine pH, amount and solubility of crystalloids, presence of crystallization promoters and inhibitors, and excretion of medications or diagnostic agents. In vitro (outside the body) variables include temperature, evaporation, pH, and technique of specimen preparation. It is important to note that refrigeration of urine samples leads to precipitation of crystal, a falsely positive result. What does all this mean? It means that the presence of crystals in urine - particularly struvites - is usually clinically insignificant. Specific crystals, however, such as ammonium biurate crystals are significant and can indicate hepatic insufficiency. Crystalluria can often cause concerns about urolithiasis (stones) but crystalluria must not be the sole criterion for assessment of stone composition nor do animals with crystalluria necessarily form stones.In summary, the presence of crystals is usually normal. Antibiotics should be prescribed only if bacterial infection has been confirmed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.