petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My name is ***** *****. Our 15 yo cat is throwing up and poopimg

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. Our 15 yo cat is throwing up and poopimg on the floor right after.Whatight be causing this in an otherwise healthy cat. Ahe dri,ks plenty of water.and eats dry food.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is usually one small rpund poop. Vomit was partially digested so not right after eating.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.Can you tell me for how long this has been going on? Is your cat losing weight?Has his water intake increased? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not losing weight, drinking normally. Started a couple of months ago but we just figured out which cat was doing this. We have 2 and were finding evidence but saw it happen today.
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. What worries me the most is that a 15 year old cat has started showing up with GI signs, particularly the vomiting. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is very common in cats and can present with symptoms like that. Unfortunately, infiltrative intestinal cancer can present in a very similar fashion. Other possibilities can include metabolic disease secondary to organ dysfunction. A common scenario would in a cat of this age would be kidney disease. I would highly recommend that you have him examined by your veterinarian and have some bloodwork and a urinalysis evaluated. This will be the first step in determining the cause of his vomiting. Keep in mind that if it is truly just GI disease, like IBD, bloodwork may be completely normal, as can be any imaging, like ultrasound or xray, but it is always good to proceed with those to make sure we are not missing anything obvious. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much. She actually threw up and pooped again this evening. A trip to vet is certainly in order. This was helpful so we know what directions to expect the vet to take.
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
You are most welcome. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz