petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My cat looks confused and only ate once today Also

Customer Question

Hello , my cat looks confused and only ate once today
Also he is not walking properly as he takes one step then sit down
Also he didnt poop this week
Could it be constipation ?
Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind. How old is your cat? Male or female? Was he eating well until today? Is he urinating normally? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He 2 years old , a male
Yes he was eating well and active untill today and now he is just sitiing on the floor and whever he sees anyone he cries out
Yes he is urinating well
I would like to mentioned that he got neutered when he was six months
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply.Constipation certainly has to be high on the list of rule outs, but it is not the only potential cause. Anal sac impaction or infection could be involved as could pain in the hips or hindlegs. In young male cats, we would be worried about possible urethral obstruction, but if he is urinating well, that is not likely. Make sure that he is passing a good amount of urine as evidenced by a large wet spot or clump in the litterbox, and not just making frequent trips to the litter box. There are a couple of things that you can try for him tonight, but if it is not helping him to pass stool, or if his symptoms persist, he really needs to be seen soon by your veterinarian. The problem with these cases is that often there is a large piece of rock hard stool blocking the passage of anything behind it. Sometimes a little liquid will make it's way around it, but until that obstruction can be manually broken down and removed, most drugs will not be too effective. Most cats I have worked with, even the most docile, will not allow their owner to attempt any stool removal at home, and even at the clinic we usually need sedation or at least a few people for restraint. If he seems comfortable for the night and you want to try something on your own before you take him to your vet, you could safely give him two things that may help. The first is the laxative called Dulcolax® The generic name is Bisacodyl. It is available over the counter here and comes as a 5 mg tab. Give one tab twice a day. The other thing that helps to soften the stool is a product for humans called Miralax (or polyetheylene glycol) It is a powder that you can sprinkle on food and it works by drawing water into the stool to keep it soft. Start with 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. A different stool softener that you may be able to find is called Colace® (Docusate sodium) and cats can be given 50 mg once or twice a day. Try to increase his fluid intake as much as you can by offering water or tuna juice to encourage drinking or add to his food to make it as soupy as he will allow. Canned pumpkin, Bran, or Psyllium (Metamucil) are good sources of fiber and help with constipation as well. About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per meal is what I would use. The hairball gels that are mineral/oil-petroleum mixtures are also good helpful. Mineral can be used rectally, (which I am sure you don't want to do), but should not be forced orally as there is a risk of it getting in their lungs which is dangerous. If his symptoms are persisting however, you definitely want to seek veterinary intervention, sooner versus later. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?