Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

I have. Panamanian he has been coughing and sneezing when he

Customer Question

I have. Panamanian he has been coughing and sneezing when he cough nothing come up
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your Pomeranian has been coughing. I will do my best to help. How long has this been going on? In an otherwise healthy dog who develops a cough but is still eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and acting normally, I am most suspicious of an infectious cough. Saying "my dog has kennel cough" is a lot like saying "I have a cold" - we don't know exactly what infectious agent is causing it, but for the majority of us, it makes you feel crappy for a while and then it passes. The same types of infectious respiratory diseases can happen in dogs - where they cough and potentially have other signs like sneezing, etc, and they get over it own their own. The red flags to look for that would indicate we need veterinary care are extreme lethargy, high fever (over 103 rectally), not eating or drinking, any sort of labored or distressed breathing, or coughing up green or yellow mucus. Since most of these end up being viral, I don't always prescribe antibiotics, however if the cough is severe enough for my clients to bring their pets in for an exam, I usually do send at least cough suppressants. If he's been any other dogs lately, such as at a dog park, doggy daycare, pet store, or groomer, then I'd suspect he was exposed there. Having said that, I see many dogs who have no obvious or known exposure to other dogs - these diseases are airborne and stick to clothing and are very contagious, so direct contact with other dogs isn't mandatory to catch one. In a middle aged to older dog who has a cough that has been going on for longer, it could be a sign of tracheal collapse or a heart condition. I would call your vet when you can, especially if you're seeing any of those "red flag" items I mentioned or his coughing is keeping him up at night. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have taken him to the hospital they did an x-ray of the lungs and it was clear and was given medication which include antibiotic but the cough still ongoing but there is no unusual stuff he eats well and pop well but I am still concern the question I have do i have to take him again to the hospital the cough sounds real bad what should I do
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information - I'm glad to hear that he's been to the vet office - how long ago was it? When a patient is not improving on our treatment, we need to see them back to reassess the problem - so yes, I would call your vet and have him looked at again. More chronic long standing cough can be caused by bronchitis or a collapsing trachea. These would likely not respond to antibiotics. ~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is racial colapse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is racial collapse?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Racial colapse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tracial colapse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Trachea collapsing what is that is is something to be hospitalize for
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I apologize that I was offline when you replied with your question. Tracheal collapse is a condition where the cartilage rings in the trachea (wind pipe) become flimsy and no longer hold the trachea open. Dogs with tracheal collapse have a very characteristic "honking" cough. Typically I can presumptively diagnose it simply by hearing it when they cough. The confirmation of the diagnoses requires a scoping procedure where a camera is inserted into the wind pipe to examine the inside of the wind pipe and watch for collapse. Sometimes it can also be seen on either a plain still X-ray or a fluoroscopy study (moving X-ray). Frequently, though, the cough is characteristic enough on the physical examination to make a diagnosis and begin management. Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do to fix a collapsing trachea - it can only be managed mostly by lifestyle changes where we avoid the situations that bring on a coughing episode (typically exercise, stress, and heat) and potentially also use some cough suppressants, sedation and/or anti-inflammatories to calm an active episode. ~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Copper. How is everything going?

Doc Sara