Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My cat threw up a lot of food only once. Now she is removing

Customer Question

My cat threw up a lot of food only once. Now she is removing the food from the bowl and placing it outside of the bowl but not actually eating. No change in food, been on the same one for years. She will take treats but that's it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.I am sorry to hear about your cat who vomited up her meal. Cats are highly intelligent creatures and I suspect that she just feels out of sorts right now and is perhaps blaming the food for her stomach upset. If she just vomited the one time I wouldn't be too alarmed yet, and it is good sign that she is taking treats and keeping those down. I have a few additional questions for you if you don't mind. Has she ever had vomiting episodes in the past? Did she vomit in the morning or at night? Any other pets in the home? - Dr. H
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has vomitted in the past but not like this, it was primarily whole food like she ate too fast or something. It was during the day and no other pets at home.
Ok. I would recommend letting her stomach rest for the rest of the day. Perhaps skip her next meal to allow relaxation of the GI tract lining. Then tomorrow morning you can feed her a bland diet of Purina EN Gastrointestinal (Canned food) or you can feed her some boiled chicken or tuna with a boiled egg. This bland diet can be given for 3-4 days if needed, then slowly transition her back to her normal diet. What is her normal diet by the way? - Dr. H
If she isn't on any other medication, you can also give her some Pepcid AC (Famotidine) @ 0.5-1mg/kg every 12 hrs (1kg=2.2lbs to help with your conversion). If you need help with the calculation, just provide her weight and I can assist you. : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She eats science diet light. We did have her on a different food about 2 years ago that gave her crystals in her urine. We moved to a RX diet and then transitioned back to science diet without any issue. Other than some treats here and there, we have stuck with the same brand and same type. She has always been very vocal and demanding about food and constantly wants more.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has not been on the Rx food for over a year now.
Ok great. You sound like a very prudent owner who is dedicated to her care. My cats are also on the science diet light food. They tend to get bored with the dry kibble however and it is also better to add canned food to cats diet to increase water intake. Plus the canned food can be more digestible for cats, because it puts less work on the GI tract to break it down.Hill's Science diet does have a bland diet GI formula as well but it is Rx only unfortunately. But Royal Canin does have a GI formulated food available over the counter, here is a link if you are interested in trying this for the next couple of days: Royal Canin is a higher end food.
Also keep in mind that cats can have these bouts where they have hairball accumulation in the stomach that causes a back flow of food. I like to give my cats Laxatone regularly to help keep things moving along. Also it is helpful to brush her once a week to help remove excess hair so that she doesn't ingest as much. I hope these recommendations prove helpful for your kitty!- Dr. H
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So, go ahead and skip all meals today and then feed her the royal canin?
Yes you can safely skip 1 meal in cats. I wouldn't advise anything more. In dogs we can skip for an entire 24 hrs, but cats typically need about 12 hrs of no food. The idea is that we want the stomach to settle. Most of the time the stomach is inflamed, and the more food we put in there the longer it is inflamed. We are hoping that with not placing food in the stomach that we can get the inflammation (gastritis) to resolve on its own. : )I recommend this conservative approach for her because she seems ok otherwise. Now if anything changes or if she continues to vomit even after trying this, then it is best she go to see a vet at that point because something more involved is happening internally that should be investigated and treated for. - Dr. H
Sorry for the delay in my responses, the site is experiencing some technical difficulties it seems. Is there anything else I can assist you and your cat with today?
I hope that I was able some direction on how to best care for your cat moving forward. Please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate My Expert" button at the top of the page so that I may receive credit for taking the time to assist you with your cat concerns today. I appreciate the feedback and wish you and your cat well moving forward. Best regards, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?