petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Cat has had loose bowels, and has lost weight . He is eating

Customer Question

cat has had loose bowels, and has lost weight . He is eating but at times brings up his food . His litter mate is now experiencing the same thing/ Could this be an infection or worms . I have five cats/
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. Contagious infections that affect the GI tract are not common, but intestinal parasites can lead to GI symptoms like soft stools and weight loss. Intestinal parasites can include worms, but can also include one celled organisms that can only be identified with the aid of a microscope. Different parasites require different treatments, so it would be best to have the stool analyzed by your vet as well as have Biggy examined to make sure there is nothing else going on. There are other conditions that can cause these symptoms besides parasites and that would include inflammatory bowel disease or an overactive thyroid to name a few, so your vet may want to rule these out. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz