Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

I just found a lump near my cats right leg. It feels soft and

Customer Question

I just found a lump near my cats right leg. It feels soft and moves around. Could it be cancer?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. In general soft squishy lumps are not cancerous. Hard irregular lumps are usually cancerous. Rapid growth or a change in size or shape can indicate it is more likely cancer.But the only way to know if a growth is cancerous or not is to take a sample of it and look at it under the microscope to see if any of the cells looks abnormal. That is something the vet can do in the clinic with a syringe and needle. And they should be able to look at the cells with the in house microscope. If they are not sure then they could always send the sample out to a veterinary pathologist to take a look.So if you want to know for sure if it is cancerous I would make a vet appointment and have them look at a sample under the microscope.Your other option is to monitor the mass for change or growth. Then if you notice change or growth take her into the clinic at that time.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?