Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Ragdoll has been diagnosed with pancreatistis he was first

Customer Question

My Ragdoll has been diagnosed with pancreatistis he was first on prednisol but brcause possibility of this medication plus diagnosis he has been switched to cyclosporin, but I think he is having a bad reaction to this new medicine. Is there anything else he could be taking. He is losing weight, some diarrhea and hates taking the liquid twice a day.
Help! I'm feeling desperate.
Submitted: 7 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you mean pancreatitis (inflammation of his pancreas)?How did his vets confirm their diagnosis?Were these the only 2 treatments started?What signs is he actually showing? Just diarrhea and weight loss? No vomiting, appetite loss or abdominal pain (up where the ribs end)?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Appetite loss ongoing for about 8 months before diagnosis. Only these two treatments tried. They did an ultra sound 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad to hear they did an ultrasound, as this will help ensure nothing more sinister (ie pancreatic abscesses, tumors or compression from other organs) is present. Though if his signs are that vague, it would be ideal to confirm that ultrasound suspicion and test a feline pancreatic lipase as this would confirm that we do have a pancreatitis here. Just to note, if no bloods have been done, you could have them do a general profile at the same time to make sure there are no other organ issues being missed. As well, if he has diarrhea (which along with the appetite loss will be stealing weight from him), it may be worth having a stool sample tested to make sure there isn't an infectious case for this that also needs to be addressed. Especially as he is likely a bit immune suppressed from the treatments that have been used.Otherwise, while severe pancreatitis can be treated with what you have tried, we do most often manage these cases with symptomatic care. For severe cases, we may start IV fluids +/- IV parenteral feedings to rest the pancreas. Otherwise, treatment tends to be composed of anti-nausea medication (since often they won't eat because of this causing nausea), gut safe pain relief (the condition is reported to be excruciating in people), appetite stimulants, low fat food, +/- antibiotics. Some cats even benefit from a short term feeding tube. And I would note that most cats respond to these treatments and we often can get them back on track.Therefore, considering Burnaby Blue lack of response to the immune suppressing medications he has been given, the above would be ideal here to confirm that this is what is lurking, to make sure nothing else is complicated and preventing his recovery, and that we are addressing all angles of this condition to get him feeling better, eating for us, and over this pancreatitis.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )