Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

MY 8 year old Siamese has been throwing up since last night about 8pm....I've kept he

Customer Question

MY 8 year old Siamese has been throwing up since last night about 8pm....I've kept her without food. She is now throwing up yellow looking stuff (bile?). She begs for food, poor thing. I live in Florida so it is possible she got something out on the lanai last pm....she is quite a little hunter....any suggestions other than carpet cleaner? Thanks, Carole
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Does she tend to be a cat that chews plants?Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks,
She is a sad kitty....
She wants to drink but it comes up....
guns, moist and pink,
No belly tenderness and no tensing.
No she's never chewed on plants before...
but loves lizards and *ugh) little frogs....
It's too early for them to be out....
She's done this a couple of times on
her 8 years....likes to find a "extra treat"
ie crawy things...I did not find anything belly
up on the lanai as I do not know what
she's gotten into.
Pupils are, by the way, normal looking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that she hasn't any of those signs I noted, as often they are hints of an urgent issue. That said, if Ming is struggling to keep water down, we need to tread with care. This is because when they are that nauseous, often we need to bypass their mouths with injectable anti-vomiting medication from their vet. Still, if she is keen and she can possible keep a bit down, we may be able to start some home treated. Now just to note, based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, organ dysfunction (ie liver, kidney,etc) metabolic disease, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Though since this has just started suddenly, we'd hope we have a dietary indiscretion or brewing GI bug as those are most treatable. With this all in mind, if she just vomited, then we need to rest her stomach for a few hours. Water should only be given as sips and food should be withheld for the short term. Once she is more settled, we can try her with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Though again if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication.Though if she can keep that down and settles, we can try her with a light diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Hopefully, she hasn't had anything harmful but with the severity of Ming's nausea, we do need to tread with care. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan. Carole
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, Carole. :)Best wishes for Ming,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )